POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: mermaid (nsfw) : Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:05:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw)
From: andrel
Date: 6 Oct 2014 18:53:56
Message: <54331D72.9060007@gmail.com>
On 6-10-2014 23:10, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Further progress on my mermaid mesh, dubbed off a copy and rearranged it
>> some to be posed to show what it could end up being able to do.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Cook
>> http://empyrean.sjcook.com
>
> I like that angle a lot better than the original model!
>
> The placement of the fins just seemed ... a bit odd to me, especially the dorsal
> fin.  I'd be tempted to see how that looks if it were moved up nearer to between
> the shoulder blades.
> Maybe the ventral fins would be better suited placed mid-"thigh"?

My problem with the current placing is that as far as I know there is no
muscle there that could move the fin. Somewhat higher up one might use a
modified abdominal muscle.
I think if you make a vertebrate it should conform to the body plan of
vertebrates or at least be physiological plausible. That is why I am a
fan of Terryl Whitlatch (and not only because of the extra 'l' at the
end of her first name).

> Looking very cool in any event, and it ought to look amazing once some scales
> are added, if the fish texture is what you're going for rather than the
> dolphin/porpoise route.

The tail indicates that this is definitely not a fish, but a landanimal
readapted to the seas.

Another mild criticism is that she will be the last of the line.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.