POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines : Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines Server Time
11 May 2024 15:37:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines
From: Alain
Date: 28 Sep 2014 14:11:47
Message: <54284f63@news.povray.org>

>> As I said, my physics are poor and I do not know what to visualize under
>> an electric field. Does that resemble a magnetic field like the one
>> around the Earth? For the first example at least that would mean toruses
>> in 3D space.
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Hi Thomas! I am also not a physicist but the way to find a solution is to use
> the first example which is simpler. I think what is needed is to attach in a way
> the value of the amplitude (E=K*q/r^2) to the cylinder length. The formula of
> the electric field is just a function like y=1/r^2. As I can imagine it probably
> cannot work like this but using y=1/r^2 to create a color gradient with distance
> as a first attempt.
>
> I think you are right, the solution could be isosurfaces (I suppose they are
> similar to contours or to equipotential surfaces) using the y=1/r^2 as a first
> attempt. If you can find a solution on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ioannis

Isosurface ARE equipotential surfaces for a given equation. The surface
is everywhere where the function evaluate to a thresshold value. That
value can be zero, or just any arbitrary one.
For y=1/r^2, you need to replace (r^2) by sqrt(pow(x,2) + pow(y,2) +
pow(z,2)) [working in 3D space]

Your formula mecomes:
sqrt(pow(x,2) + pow(y,2) + pow(z,2)) = r

If you use "r" as the treshold of your isosurface, it gives you a sphere
of radius r.

Alain