POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines : Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines Server Time
28 Apr 2024 12:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Sep 2014 06:25:56
Message: <542690b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/09/2014 20:42, Johann wrote:
> Could someone provide me a sample POV RAY code where it will demonstrate a
> sphere with its 3D Electrostatic Field (using the formula E=K*q/r^2) with field
> lines and another with contours? Then how can I modify the sample for two
> spheres with their fields interacting.

Hi Johann and welcome.

Unfortunately I cannot give you any code but I would like to suggest
looking at the Blob object.

 From the inbuilt help:

Blobs are an interesting and flexible object type. Mathematically they
are iso-surfaces of scalar fields, i.e. their surface is defined by the
strength of the field in each point. If this strength is equal to a
threshold value you are on the surface otherwise you are not.

Picture each blob component as an object floating in space. This object
is filled with a field that has its maximum at the center of the object
and drops off to zero at the object's surface. The field strength of all
those components are added together to form the field of the blob. Now
POV-Ray looks for points where this field has a given value, the
threshold value. All these points form the surface of the blob object.
Points with a greater field value than the threshold value are
considered to be inside while points with a smaller field value are outside.

Help 2.3.3.1 Blob Object
Help 2.3.3.1.1 Component Types and Other New Features
Help 3.4.5.1.1 Blob

--

Regards
     Stephen