POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds : Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:41:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Sep 2014 03:52:30
Message: <54193dbe@news.povray.org>
That back bending is simply unrealistic. Just changing the bending
direction already improves things. What I did was add 180 degrees to all
negative rotations.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@ Bald Eagle: I do indeed use the image_map as a kind of force map,
through the height_field stage and then using the properties of the
normals. Basically, I think that is identical to what you suggest? The
rate of bending is proportional to the normal: pointing upward => no
bending; increased bending with increasing normal angle towards the
horizontal.

@ MichaelJF: Yes, that parting was killing the effect and came from my
concept of rebounding of the stalks. In any case, this was far to strong
here. I presently dropped this effect for the time being.

@ clipka: the bending angle is uniform over the whole length as a first
approximation. In reality, I expect bending to increase towards the top,
due to the different effects already mentioned by Alain and Bald Eagle.
Most important in my view are the thickness/rigidity of the stalks
towards the base and the damping effect of surrounding stalks. The
former is easy to implement, the latter is more difficult, especially if
one also wants to consider collision effects. At present, I do not know
how to tread that path.

Something I still believe not right is the wave length of the effect. I
think it should be larger.

Also note in the present image that all stalks start from the same
initial orientation/scale. I need to introduce more randomness /and/ add
different types of stalks.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hf_pattern_testing.png' (576 KB)

Preview of image 'hf_pattern_testing.png'
hf_pattern_testing.png