POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds : Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:52:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds
From: clipka
Date: 16 Sep 2014 14:39:53
Message: <541883f9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.09.2014 16:24, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Well, I am interested in modelling wind patterns over a reed field, or a
> corn field. What I seem to observe are turbulent wave patterns moving
> the stalks back and forward while going over the field.

Looks quite promising for a start.

> suggestions are more than welcome of course.

Sure.

It seems to me that you're bending any given reed with a constant radius
along the whole length of the stalk; I suspect that the stalk should
bend most strongly at the base, because of (a) the wind acting not only
on the tip of the stalk, but also on lower portions, so that the wind
force affecting the bending of any given point increases downward along
the stalk, (b) the stalk acting as a lever, further amplifying the
bending force exerted on any given point on the stalk based on how far
it is from the tip, and (c) the wind force acting upon a near-vertical
portion of the stalk being stronger than that acting upon a
near-horizontal portion.

The reeds should bend in a single direction only (albeit at different
amplitudes) - the primary direction of the wind.

As for the waves, I guess they are not from turbulences already present
in the wind, but rather from upright reeds "shadowing" those further
downwind causing them to rise again, while themselves being exposed to
the wind and beginning to move downward; this effect might be initiated
and amplified by the individual reeds also resonating in the wind due to
(c).