POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : VR Brainstorming : Re: VR Brainstorming Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:36:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VR Brainstorming
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2014 14:35:12
Message: <54173160$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2014 19:25, schrieb Stephen:

>>> I'm out of my depth here.
>>
>> A mesh representation of the scene would probably be easiest to achieve
>> by parsing the scene, then having dedicated code convert each and every
>> object separately into a mesh.
>
> Not using the tessellation that can be done in SDL, then?

The underlying algorithm may be the same for certain objects (most
notably isosurfaces), but no - tesselation in SDL is a tad too slow for
my taste ;-)

Besides, IIRC Jerome has already included some inbuilt tesselation
features in his fork - still need to steal his code and put it into
UberPOV...

>> A voxel ("volume pixel", i.e. 3D array of boxes) representation of the
>> scene could be generated in a similar way; it could, however, also be
>> generated by having POV-Ray parse the scene, and then use existing code
>> in the render engine to systematically ray-trace it, collecting not only
>> colour information but also the intersection position information.
>>

> How would that handle parts that are obscured by itself or other objects?

It would have to trace from different locations.

Maybe something like, you will initially see only the parts visible from
the initial camera position, but tracing continues as you move your head
about, and the missing pieces will be filled in over time, maybe with
gradually increasing detail.

> A manual metal turning lathe would be over complicated IMO.
> And where is the fun in pushing a button to get your shape.
> Have you thought about the Kinect as an i/p device?

The idea briefly crossed my mind, but not long enough to be examined in
any noteworthy detail. Might be a way to go - but then I'd need to
obtain a Kinect as well, and fight my way through its API in addition to
the Oculus Rift's. So, bottom line: Kinect input will most certainly not
feature in the initial version. I might re-visit the idea once the
Oculus Rift part and the game controller input are flying.