POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface pumpkin : Re: Isosurface pumpkin Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface pumpkin
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Sep 2014 13:03:41
Message: <5415ca6d$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/14/2014 10:28 AM, jhu wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> I acted on my yearly urge to do a Pov-Ray pumpkin.
>>
>> The isosurface using the base, shape and texture functions is in the
>> upper left of the image. All other pumpkins are deformations of those
>> functions as additional isosurfaces. The original image is a third
>> larger than that attached and rendered in about 12 minutes with one
>> light and radiosity.
>>
>> Bill P.
>
> Those are very good pumpkins. Procedural texture?

Thanks all.

I didn't spend too much time on the textures & agree most pumpkins are
uglier & more varied - especially across varieties and sizes.

The texture for the surface of the pumpkin is a slightly variable color
about a core color plus normal bumps scaled very small to add some
graininess.

The rest of the effect comes from the pumpkin shape being formed with
the aid of a spherical displacement map. The spherical map was created
in Pov-Ray ahead of time using the spherical camera and it gets used for
the rind and meat sub-functions of the total shape's function.

I thought a little about adding guts, but I plan to use it first for a
Happy Halloween Jack-o'-lantern. For the lantern, the guts would have to
be cleaned out and I didn't want to deal with that slimy mess! ;-)

No, I didn't start with Mike's parametric apple, but some of the
underlying math is similar.

Bill P.