POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Running Povray with stdin via +I- returns "Render failed" : Re: Running Povray with stdin via +I- returns "Render failed" Server Time
24 Apr 2024 07:42:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running Povray with stdin via +I- returns "Render failed"
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Sep 2014 15:46:53
Message: <5407702d$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/09/2014 21:01, Adam Ryan wrote:
> I'm currently on Linux CentOS 7. I'm on Povray version
> 3.7.1-alpha.7695039.unofficial (but this also didn't work on Povray version 3.7
> RC7). When I try to run Povray in terminal with STDIN I receive a "Render
> failed" error.
>
> Command I'm running:
>
> cat pov.pov | povray +I-
>

> Error:
>
> Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file '-', even after trying to append file
>  type extension.
> Parse Error: Cannot open input file.
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed
>
> Please let me know if you need more information.

This is not supported.

The #macro system need to move back in file(s), which is not possible
with the stdin stream. Other functionalities also move back in file(s).
(such as loop)

The right call is:
* povray -Ipov.pov

Or

* cat - >pov.pov && povray -Ipov.pov
--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)