POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brick, material, texture, pigment, color.... : Re: Brick, material, texture, pigment, color.... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:48:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brick, material, texture, pigment, color....
From: clipka
Date: 1 Sep 2014 19:37:23
Message: <54050333$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.09.2014 00:46, schrieb Bald Eagle:

> I'm still fighting with Pov-Ray about the syntax and heirarchical structure of
> BRICK.   Right about now, I'm feeling as thick as one.   Cue Jethro Tull.
>
> #declare White_Paint = material { texture {pigment {color White}  finish{diffuse
> 0.9 } normal {bumps scale <1, .1, .1>}} };
>
> #declare White_Paint_T = texture {pigment {color White}  finish{diffuse 0.9 }
> normal {bumps scale <1, .1, .1>} };
>
> #declare White_Brick =  texture {brick texture {White_Paint_T}
>       texture {White_Paint_T}
>       brick_size <8, 8, 16>
>       } ;

Why are you doing this? Doesn't make much sense having both the bricks
and the mortar use the same texture, does it?

> #declare White_Wall =  texture {White_Brick
>      normal {brick brick_size <8, 8, 16> scale x*1.0625}
>      finish {diffuse 0.9 phong 0.2}
>      } ;
>
> I've tried breaking things up, declaring an explicit TEXTURE, and the problem
> I'm having is that POV shoots back  "line 116: Parse Error: No matching } in
> 'texture', finish found instead"

I get "normal found instead", but I also get the point.

I've never come across this before, but apparently (and knowing the
interna of texture handling it does make sense to me) you can't override
normal, texture or finish of a multi-component texture (i.e. one
composed of multiple textures).

> <whine>
> But Pov-Raaaaaaay, normal and finish are _part of a texture definition_.  :(
> </whine>
>
> How do I get the brick and mortar to have a PAINT texture, and the WALL have an
> overall BRICK normal?   I've searched around for an explanation or better yet a
> working example, but haven't come up with much.

You need to make the brick normal part of each individual sub-texture;
it'll require an average normal_map to mix it with the normal
perturbation you're already using.