POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Field of view and aspect ratio : Re: Field of view and aspect ratio Server Time
29 Apr 2024 17:09:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field of view and aspect ratio
From: Alain
Date: 28 Aug 2014 16:58:37
Message: <53ff97fd@news.povray.org>

> I'm trying to wrap my head around what I should use for camera angle settings
> when I render for a screen with 1366 x 768 resolution.  It's unclear to me how
> the camera angle coupled with the render size determines what is visible, and
> what the "correct" proportion should be.
>

> Also, I've noticed with some of my scene renders that the view looks a little
> restricted.  Looking at the real world, I'm able to take in a fairly wide view,
> and when rendering something similar, it has that severely cropped feeling.
>
> I've played with the camera angle, and notice that above a certain value (80-90
> deg as far as I can tell) I start to get a tunnel-like distortion.
>
> I'm looking to experiment with rendering some scenes that more closely mimic a
> "real" field of view, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for
> giving a better sense of space to the scenes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view
>
> Humans have an almost 180-degree forward-facing horizontal field of view, ....
In fact, it's a little larger than 180, closer to 190 to about 200 in
some persons.

> .... binocular vision, which is important for depth perception, covers only 114
> degrees (horizontally) of the field of vision in humans;[2] the remaining
> peripheral 60-70 degrees have no binocular vision (because only one eye can see
> those parts of the field of view).
>
> I have the feeling that I'd need to balance image size, aspect ratio, camera
> angle, and probably add some focal blurring (which I have yet to even try).
>
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Fait accompli examples?
>
> Thanks

When using angle larger that 60, it's often advisable to use the
ultra_wide_angle camera type. That camera will reduce the perceived
distortion at the expance of causing straight lines to bend.

panoramic, cylinder 1 or 3 and spherical are also to be concidered.