POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Field of view and aspect ratio : Re: Field of view and aspect ratio Server Time
29 Apr 2024 17:48:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field of view and aspect ratio
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Aug 2014 11:54:07
Message: <53ff509f$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/08/2014 17:32, Bald Eagle wrote:

> The diagram I saw of the perspective camera seemed to suggest that the direction
> vector is half the length of the camera to look_at length.  True?

No. Look_at is only used for the alignment of the center of the image
with the line going from camera position to look_at position.

Direction can be used to provides some different angle values, as long
as angle is not specified.

See http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Camera#Perspective_projection

> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Camera#Perspective_projection

When angle is specified, the up & right vectors are internally
recomputed from the direction vector (lengths are adjusted).

> The diagram didn't give a good explanation of right and up in relation to the
> image size.

up & right, in perspective camera, are irrelevant about the visible
field (but if the angle was not specified, the ratio between right &
direction will have an impact).

Ratio of up & right should matches the ratio of the image size time the
ratio of the pixel. (so with traditional square pixel, the ratio of up &
right should be identical to the height & width ratio )... time or
divide, I'm often confused, but square pixel have a nice 1, so it's
irrelevant most of the time for me.

Beware when comparing povray's camera's angle (of perspective camera)
and the photographic angle:
Povray's angle is the one between the horizontal picture dimension and
the opening of the prism, whereas the photographic is along the diagonal
(which means 1:2, 4:3 and 16:9 would have different angle to have the
same object on the left/right border)

> (I also have a Tina-CHeP question for you... how/where to do that?)
>
> Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I have seen something like group irtc.general which talks about TC-RTC.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)