POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Silentium Wip : Re: Silentium Wip Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Silentium Wip
From: Stephen
Date: 26 Aug 2014 02:17:23
Message: <53fc2673$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2014 03:29, clipka wrote:
> Am 26.08.2014 00:39, schrieb Stephen:
>

>> There is a good run between Aulin and I Bootis.
>
> Hm... I prefer to avoid Aulin because it tends to be overcrowded, and
> the docking computer seems to freak out in such situations...

I have not been there for a couple of days but it was not that busy when
I was. As for the docking computer. The forums say it is a 4 bit moron.
I don't have one and watching some of them dock it looks like a liability.

> Speaking of profit and dropping cargo: A few hours ago I had to jettison
> a can of algae and a barrel of fish into space; including the fines for
> littering the surroundings of a space station that was a loss of about
> 800 credits. Totally worth it though when you have the unexpected
> opportunity to scoop in two crates of battle weapons from an annihilated
> ship - they sold at about 5,000 bucks each :-D (I could probably have
> made even more profit if I hadn't sold at the first opportunity, but I
> didn't like flying around with those crates being labeled "stolen".)

I am not surprised with the number of interdictions that happen.

>> With, Terrain Enrichment Systems and Fish.
>> Round trip profit with 4 Tons is 2800 + 600
>>
>> And with a 100t hauler it is 83000.
>
> Maybe I should indeed get me one of these for a change, until I've got
> the money together to buy that Cobra Mk III.

I liked the one I had. The view from the cockpit is more open. And if
you find a good run the cash mounts up.
Remember to keep enough of a float to pay for your ship's and weapon's
insurance. My first sortie in one did not last long enough to get out of
the station.

>> I do remember playing M$ Flight Simulator with the keyboard. That must
>> have been able to use a joystick. Back in the BBS days.
>
> Certainly so. If you had one of those fancy new SoundBlaster cards of
> course.

I did but couldn't talk my work into buying one for me.

>>> .... except for (air and space) flight simulations, which you
>>> absolutely, positively /never/ play without.
>>
>> Well I did but I'm talking twenty odd years ago.
>> And I knew at the time I wanted a joystick.
>
> I had always been into flight sims, so I got me a joystick quite early -

I spent a lot of time playing FS4 and F19 until my wife bought me a
flying lesson for a birthday.
All was fine until the pilot let me take the controls. I keep forgetting
that I get vertigo and I was terrified. I did not freeze or anything but
it was not enjoyable. That ended my flight simulator career quite
sharpish. ED is different, no one will make me fly a spaceship in real life.

> I always thought the CH product line to be the top of them all; somehow
> they felt more precise and less toy-ish as all the other brands (let
> alone non-brands) - maybe because CH also has expertise in actual
> airplane equipment.
>
> But you ain't seen nothin' yet until you get your hands on the
> Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. If Microsoft, Saitek and Logitech (and even
> the other Thrustmaster stuff) are pop or rock & roll, and the CH stuff
> is hard rock, then this is heavy metal - literally, as a matter of fact.

I'll bear that in mind if/when I want to upgrade. But first I have to
move away from using only laptops and get a proper machine with a
graphics card and expansion slots.

--

Regards
     Stephen