POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : turning off mutual shadowing between objects : Re: turning off mutual shadowing between objects Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: turning off mutual shadowing between objects
From: Alain
Date: 25 Aug 2014 14:04:15
Message: <53fb7a9f@news.povray.org>

> I want to generate a POV image NoShade(x,y).My question:how can I turn off
> mutual shadowing between objects?Can anyboby tell me how can I do? Thanks and
> expecting reply! Beg a hot!

If you want a single object not to cast any shadow, add no_shadow to
that object.
That object will still receive shadows cast by other objects.

If you don't want any objects to cast any shadow at all, add shadowless
to your light_source, all of them.

If you want shadows cast on the ground but not on other objects, it can
get tricky.
You'll need to use light_group.
Have a general light_source and your ground, as well as any object that
you want to receive shadows, outside any light_group.
Place all your objects in a light_group. The light_source IN the
light_group are to be made shadowless.
To get consistent results, the global lights and those in the
light_group MUST be in the same locations.
It works because objects in a light_group, while not been illuminated by
global light_source, can still block their light, and can thus cast
shadows on objects that outside of the light_group.

If you want no shadows and only need full illumination without any
shading, you can use +q0 on the command line. This force all textures to
have ambient 1, diffuse 0 and don't compute any light. As a bonus, it's
prety quick.

Alain