POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : three tests about pov : Re: three tests about pov Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: three tests about pov
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2014 10:59:07
Message: <53fb4f3b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.08.2014 11:54, schrieb CAS:
> I am a student.Recently I need to do three tests about POV. And I have done
> three tests,but I do not know whether they are right.I beg a hot help me check.
> Requirements:
> 1,Raytracing the scene using no illumination source and distinct color settings
> for each object representing different materials results in an image which can
> be converted to a materials map M(x,y) by simple classification of the red,green
> and blue channel images produced by the raytracer.A sample is shown in Fig. 2 on
> the left.
> 2,Raytracing the scene with all diffuse surface reflectances set to unity and no
> ambient reflectances resulted in a 8-bit shading image Shade(x,y). A sample is
> shown in Fig. 2 center.
> 3,Generate a POV image NoShade(x,y) with the option of turning off mutual
> shadowing between objects. The shadow map (0 for shadow and 1 for illumination)

> of NoShade(x,y) is shown in Fig.2 on the right.
> I have done three tests.Beg somebody have a check .Besides,about the third
> test,I could not find the option of turning off mutual shadowing between
> objects.So the result is the same as test 2.I know something wrong with
> test3.How can I modify my codes?Whether codes about tests meet above three
> requirements?beg a hot .Great gratitude and best wishes!

I think one of us has entirely misunderstood the assignment...  it looks
like you're using POV-Ray just as a "viewer" for some crude greyscale
image format consisting of pixel coordinates in a "pov-xyz.txt" file and
pixel brightness in a "pov-ref.txt" file.

That's quite an interesting use of the POV-Ray scene description
language, but I'm quite sure that's not at all what your teacher had in
mind.