POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Silentium Wip : Re: Silentium Wip Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:33:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Silentium Wip
From: clipka
Date: 23 Aug 2014 12:44:21
Message: <53f8c4e5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.08.2014 16:54, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
> El 23/08/14 a las #4, Thomas de Groot escribió:
>> It seems counter-intuitive to me, but inverting the bump_size seems
>> to give the correct result (see image). Somehow, this is the inverse
>> of what I /read/ or /understand/ from what is said in Poseray.
>
>    I remembered now that this happened to me once, and the problem was
> that the mesh was inverted... maybe that's the case?

No, the true problem is that POV-Ray has been doing bump maps wrong for
ages, and it's somewhat random whether a positive or negative bump_size
gives you the desired results... or neither of them: There are cases
where the bumps look like the light would be coming from 90 degrees off
the true light direction.

This isn't trivial to fix, and although it kind of has been the first
item on my todo list ever, this probably requires some custom-tooled
heavy duty mil-spec tuits.