POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Peeling paint isosurface. : Re: Peeling paint isosurface. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:46:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peeling paint isosurface.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 17 Aug 2014 05:47:15
Message: <53f07a23$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/16/2014 02:07 PM, Alain wrote:

> If the isosurface function looks like z-InagePattern(x,y,0)*1, changing
> the *1 to *2 will double the hight.
>
> The pattern is controled by two images. If those images are tileable,
> then, the resulting isosurface can tile.
>
> The same will apply to create isolated flakes: If the source image
> contains isolated areas, those will show as isolated flakes.
>
> Alain

Thanks for answering Alain.

I'll add that the component shape functions for the wall and paint are
thin - using scaled abs(z)-image. While the peel height can be increased
or decreased, it is just a displacement in z and so the struggle is
keeping a realistic peeling look as the displacement amount changes.

Related, it is possible to play with the gamma used while reading the
image to change the blur profile to perhaps get more of a curl to the
peel, but I've not yet played with that technique on this peeling paint
isosurface.

I've posted a zip of code posted to p.b.scene-files.

Bill P.