POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
13 May 2024 20:03:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2014 14:01:28
Message: <53ef9c78@news.povray.org>
On 16/08/2014 14:10, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> I heard that the winding sense of stairs is for defence of the building,
> assuming the main hand for the sword is the right one.
> So defendants get full movement range and assaulting get problems.
> So, the rotation is not the same when going to the vault or going to the
> roof, from the outside.

I did not know about the last part. The rest is history.

> The English driving on the left side is due to the sheath being on the
> left side (once again for the majority with a right hand for the sword),
> and horsed-armed-men should not collide the sheaths when crossing. It
> went to road and railway (and so far, trains on railway still "drive on
> left" even in France), because most trains first came from the island
> west of Brussels (but the spacing between the rails is due to the wide
> of the roman empire's horse's ass). Due to the large influences of the
> English Empire, many countries sticks to that convention.
> Napoleon might have hated that convention for Europe, but how do you
> explain that the continental north America also drives on the right ?

My understanding is that we just kept what the Romans did.
 From Wiki.
"In 1998, archaeologists found a well-preserved track leading to a Roman
quarry near Swindon, England. The grooves in the road on the left side
(viewed facing down the track away from the quarry) were much deeper
than those on the right side. These grooves suggest that the Romans
drove on the left, at least in this location, since carts would exit the
quarry heavily loaded, and enter it empty."

--

Regards
     Stephen