POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
11 May 2024 10:03:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: clipka
Date: 16 Aug 2014 11:15:42
Message: <53ef759e@news.povray.org>
Am 16.08.2014 10:53, schrieb Stephen:

>> The candidates' task was to walk as straight as possible with limited
>> information; whether people tend to veer to the left or right in such a
>> circumstance says nothing about whether they prefer to walk left or
>> right turns when walking in a circle deliberately.
>>

> True but it shows that there is little bias to turn away from their
> strong leg.

No, all it shows is that when tasked with walking in a straight line,
their compensation for any such bias they may or may not have works even
when blindfolded.

>> The tendency of people to prefer walking left turns over right turns has
>> long been identified by /the/ one most motivated, well-funded and
>> experienced branch of applied behavioural science of all: Marketing
>> analysis. Shops are arranged on this basis, and it works.
>>
> Sources that it works? (and not psychobabble, please).
> If shops had paths that wound to the right. I suspect that they would
> still sell things.

Yeah, but it's one of the little tweaks by which they influence /what/
they sell (to an average person; they don't care much about
individualists) - and also how much. Like that old trick to put the milk
way at the back, because almost everyone has milk on their shopping
list, so they make you walk past all the other goods that you might not
have thought about when you made the list.

> It sounds like juju to me. "Give me money and I will make you more mony
> than you now have."

I've first heard that a quarter of a century ago, at a time when - or so
it seems to me - juju wasn't state of the art. Besides, it's such a
trivial thing that you can't really "sell" that idea - and the shop
owner can easily check whether it has any effect or not.

>>> :-O
>>
>> Yup. Fortunately for you people on the island, you're all being biased
>> during driving lessons :-)
>
> This is true as is the reverse.

Sure. But my point is that the continental bias is more natural :-)

> And before you or anyone else says it. I have often heard that I am
> weird. And I play on that.
> I suspect that there are a few people on this newsgroup that have been
> been labelled weird or strange.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a compliment.