POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
28 Apr 2024 13:52:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2014 04:53:25
Message: <53ef1c05$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/08/2014 18:44, clipka wrote:
> Am 15.08.2014 18:58, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>> On 15/08/2014 13:32, clipka wrote:
>>> passing oncoming people to the right exposes your heart side to them
>>
>> And the other choice exposes the liver.
>>
>> Both are vital organs.
>>
>> Everything might be in the symbol you choose:
>>   * Exposing your heart, and the side with the sword, as well as the
>> shield on the left arm.
>>   * Exposing your liver, and its bile.
>
> No, it's not a matter of symbols in this case. The association of the
> left side with friendliness and the right side with rejection is a real
> effect confirmed by psychological studies,

Do you have any sources for that?

> and the "heart side" thing is
> just a common explanation for why that might be so.

I see the sense in that. People want/need a reason for things.

> It might just as well be that a "non-heart-side stance" is simply a
> better choice when encountering someone you don't trust because the
> typically stronger right arm is better suited for fending off the other
> person.

That makes sense to me too. Look at fighters, swordsmen lead with their
dominant side unless they have a shield. Then that is the side they lead
with. Boxers lead with their "shield" side for protection. If they lead
with their right hand forward they have a special name, southpaw. In
judo it is the opposite way. So I think that this has to do with the
discipline.
In non fighting encounters. I have noticed that most people put their
shaking hand forward.

--

Regards
     Stephen