POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
28 Apr 2024 02:50:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2014 04:53:16
Message: <53ef1bfc$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/08/2014 18:27, clipka wrote:
> Am 15.08.2014 18:41, schrieb Stephen:

>> Did the Supernatural Being of your choice tell you that? :-P
>
> No, the /Natural/ Being of my choice. Otherwise I surely would have said
> that it is more /supernatural/ ;-)

Sorry, I don't know the smiley for sarcasm. :-)

>> http://news.sciencemag.org/2009/08/why-we-walk-circles
>> http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/walking-in-circles/
>>

> Note that this study has not much relationship with the issue at hand:

But I think it does or I would not have posted the links.

> The candidates' task was to walk as straight as possible with limited
> information; whether people tend to veer to the left or right in such a
> circumstance says nothing about whether they prefer to walk left or
> right turns when walking in a circle deliberately.

True but it shows that there is little bias to turn away from their
strong leg.

> The tendency of people to prefer walking left turns over right turns has
> long been identified by /the/ one most motivated, well-funded and
> experienced branch of applied behavioural science of all: Marketing
> analysis. Shops are arranged on this basis, and it works.

Sources that it works? (and not psychobabble, please).
If shops had paths that wound to the right. I suspect that they would
still sell things.
It sounds like juju to me. "Give me money and I will make you more mony
than you now have."

>>> So from a psychological point of view, to
>>> an otherwise unbiased person it will come more natural to make U-turns
>>> to the left rather than to the right.
>>
>> :-O
>
> Yup. Fortunately for you people on the island, you're all being biased
> during driving lessons :-)

This is true as is the reverse.

>> * The one time I tried teaching my wife to drive. I suggested that she
>> steer and I would do the gear changes. I actually snapped the stick off
>> at the base (it was an old car) with my right hand then I had to drive
>> home myself in second gear.
>
> That may well be due to having no training whatsoever in shifting gears
> with the right hand.

No, it was just a very old car. :-)
Although at the time I had no experience of shifting a car's gears with
my right hand. I did have experience of using similar controls with my
right hand.

>> ** Having said that. It may be just me. I am not ambidextrous but I use
>> my left hand a lot and will pick something up with it if it is closer to
>> my left hand than my right. Dr John was surprised at that but it is
>> natural (there is that word again). I can also do mirror writing with my
>> right hand.
>
> .... which clearly indicates that your experience does not reflect
> /typical/ human behaviour. :-P

No need for the ":-P" it is true. That is why I mentioned it.

And before you or anyone else says it. I have often heard that I am
weird. And I play on that.
I suspect that there are a few people on this newsgroup that have been
been labelled weird or strange.
Last comment for now. To put your heart side forward is (to me) to stand
square. Our hearts are in the centre of out chests.

--

Regards
     Stephen