POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
28 Apr 2024 10:08:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: clipka
Date: 15 Aug 2014 13:28:06
Message: <53ee4326$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.08.2014 18:41, schrieb Stephen:
> On 15/08/2014 12:32, clipka wrote:
>> Am 15.08.2014 11:14, schrieb Stephen:
>
>>> Ah! it appears in PoseRay as a right hand drive. (The way that God
>>> intended. :-P )
>>
>> Well, there /is/ some practical reason why driving on the right lane is
>> more natural.
>
> Did the Supernatural Being of your choice tell you that? :-P

No, the /Natural/ Being of my choice. Otherwise I surely would have said
that it is more /supernatural/ ;-)

>> You see, most people are right handed, and will also have
>> a dominant right leg, i.e. their right leg is stronger. It is therefore
>> easier and more natural for most humans to walk a counter-clockwise
>> circle than a clockwise one.
>
> Not so from what I've read.
>
> http://news.sciencemag.org/2009/08/why-we-walk-circles
> http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/walking-in-circles/

Note that this study has not much relationship with the issue at hand:
The candidates' task was to walk as straight as possible with limited
information; whether people tend to veer to the left or right in such a
circumstance says nothing about whether they prefer to walk left or
right turns when walking in a circle deliberately.

The tendency of people to prefer walking left turns over right turns has
long been identified by /the/ one most motivated, well-funded and
experienced branch of applied behavioural science of all: Marketing
analysis. Shops are arranged on this basis, and it works.

>> So from a psychological point of view, to
>> an otherwise unbiased person it will come more natural to make U-turns
>> to the left rather than to the right.
>
> :-O

Yup. Fortunately for you people on the island, you're all being biased
during driving lessons :-)

>> (In a similar vein, shifting gears with the right hand is probably
>> easier as well.)
>
> In my experience it is not. In fact I find shifting gears with my right
> hand is more clunky as it is stronger. *

> * The one time I tried teaching my wife to drive. I suggested that she
> steer and I would do the gear changes. I actually snapped the stick off
> at the base (it was an old car) with my right hand then I had to drive
> home myself in second gear.

That may well be due to having no training whatsoever in shifting gears
with the right hand.

> ** Having said that. It may be just me. I am not ambidextrous but I use
> my left hand a lot and will pick something up with it if it is closer to
> my left hand than my right. Dr John was surprised at that but it is
> natural (there is that word again). I can also do mirror writing with my
> right hand.

... which clearly indicates that your experience does not reflect
/typical/ human behaviour. :-P