POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
27 Apr 2024 14:39:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Aug 2014 12:41:57
Message: <53ee3855$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/08/2014 12:32, clipka wrote:
> Am 15.08.2014 11:14, schrieb Stephen:

>> Ah! it appears in PoseRay as a right hand drive. (The way that God
>> intended. :-P )
>
> Well, there /is/ some practical reason why driving on the right lane is
> more natural.

Did the Supernatural Being of your choice tell you that? :-P

> You see, most people are right handed, and will also have
> a dominant right leg, i.e. their right leg is stronger. It is therefore
> easier and more natural for most humans to walk a counter-clockwise
> circle than a clockwise one.

Not so from what I've read.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2009/08/why-we-walk-circles
http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/walking-in-circles/

> So from a psychological point of view, to
> an otherwise unbiased person it will come more natural to make U-turns
> to the left rather than to the right.

:-O

> (In a similar vein, shifting gears with the right hand is probably
> easier as well.)

In my experience it is not. In fact I find shifting gears with my right
hand is more clunky as it is stronger. *
I have lived and driven in countries ** that drive on the left and in
ones that drive on the right. The only difference for me is that I tend
to drift the wrong way if I am not thinking. In Britain I drift to the
left abroad I drift to the right. Probably because I learned to drive on
a motorbike and I keep to the kerb side.

> It also expresses a more friendly attitude: When moving around as a
> pedestrian, passing oncoming people to the right exposes your heart side
> to them, which shows some degree of trust. That same pattern
> extrapolated to vehicle traffic means that in general we continental
> Europeans are the friendlier lot.
>
> :-)

Yeah history shows that to be true. ;-)

* The one time I tried teaching my wife to drive. I suggested that she
steer and I would do the gear changes. I actually snapped the stick off
at the base (it was an old car) with my right hand then I had to drive
home myself in second gear.

** Having said that. It may be just me. I am not ambidextrous but I use
my left hand a lot and will pick something up with it if it is closer to
my left hand than my right. Dr John was surprised at that but it is
natural (there is that word again). I can also do mirror writing with my
right hand.

--

Regards
     Stephen