POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground : Re: Driving et Physics Playground Server Time
27 Apr 2024 12:48:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Driving et Physics Playground
From: clipka
Date: 15 Aug 2014 07:32:58
Message: <53edefea$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.08.2014 11:14, schrieb Stephen:
> On 15/08/2014 09:51, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>

>>    René kindly sent me the Wings3D file, but oddly it doesn't seems
>> complete: the wheel is missing. Fortunately, Poseray can import POV
>> meshes, so I just made a 3DS file from there:
>>
>> http://www.ignorancia.org/en/uploads/tmp/micra_inner.3ds
>>

> Thanks, I got that and it looks just the thing. :-D
>
> Ah! it appears in PoseRay as a right hand drive. (The way that God
> intended. :-P )

Well, there /is/ some practical reason why driving on the right lane is
more natural. You see, most people are right handed, and will also have
a dominant right leg, i.e. their right leg is stronger. It is therefore
easier and more natural for most humans to walk a counter-clockwise
circle than a clockwise one. So from a psychological point of view, to
an otherwise unbiased person it will come more natural to make U-turns
to the left rather than to the right.

(In a similar vein, shifting gears with the right hand is probably
easier as well.)

It also expresses a more friendly attitude: When moving around as a
pedestrian, passing oncoming people to the right exposes your heart side
to them, which shows some degree of trust. That same pattern
extrapolated to vehicle traffic means that in general we continental
Europeans are the friendlier lot.

:-)