POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Urbex - wip 12 : Re: Urbex - wip 12 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:42:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Urbex - wip 12
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Aug 2014 01:57:29
Message: <53eafe49$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/12/2014 1:54 PM, jhu wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> For me, frankly, it would be. A lot of the stuff I do right now (and
>> there just isn't a lot of practical ways to help it with POVRay) is for
>> Second Life, when I do any at all. And, I seriously hate the lack of
>> realism in so much of the stuff on there, especially when contrasted
>> with stuff that "is" being done with high realism. :p
>>

> There are still people on Second Life? (although there are people saying the
> same thing about Povray!).
>
> Do you have examples of what you're talking about in Second Life?
>

> Also, I find this amusing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrAHBk4ZAeQ

Hmm. Well, some of the best stuff I have seen are from people like these:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/24073

They try for high realism, or as high as possible, but with the addition
of funky elements, like having one chair leg repaired oddly, or other
"ghostly" effects.

These guys do some real good stuff too.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/4427

A lot of things have taken off do to allowing mesh now, and some insane
stuff was, and still is, done with "prim torture", also known as
displacement mapping (or sculpties).

Also, the places made by "some" of the residents, and almost always by
Linden themselves, can be just insanely detailed and amazing. One major
part of the area I roleplay in is being remodeled (but not yet
"public"), with all the new lighting systems, mesh, texture support,
etc. in them. These people are.. still a bit out of my league, to say
the least. lol

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get