POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Urbex - wip 12 : Re: Urbex - wip 12 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:44:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Urbex - wip 12
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Aug 2014 18:27:58
Message: <53e9436e$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2014 12:28 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 11-8-2014 6:33, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Haven't commented on this prior, but.. the walls are too
>> artificial. While its a good look, walls don't peel quite like that,
>> which I think if the problem. There would be color differences in the
>> paint itself, lighted in "protected" spots, and discolored in others.
>> Their might be bleed through of texture from individual panels (if wall
>> board), or other materials, where the same disruptions that peeled the
>> paint has warped the underlying material. Also, more protected areas may
>> be less patchy, due to be less exposed to the conditions that caused the
>> peel, and others might have much bigger patches missing, due to being
>> more exposed to the same.
>
> Compare to the original photograph:
> http://www.daanoe.nl/en/photos#.U-htPGPJAQg
>
> I partly agree with you but the intention was to try to approach as much
> as possible real life. I think I got close :-)
>
> Otoh though, real life is /not/ the ultimate goal in my work ;-)
>
> Thomas

Hmm. Yeah, can see that. I would, based on the original, if the goal
"was" to match it, "A good start". But, yeah, the one obvious thing
missing is the "hanging" bits, where its still peeling, for one. Your
version, I suppose, looks more like what someone might get is being real
careful about scraping those bits off, to leave a smooth surface. I was
right about the greater variations of discoloration though. ;)

For me, frankly, it would be. A lot of the stuff I do right now (and
there just isn't a lot of practical ways to help it with POVRay) is for
Second Life, when I do any at all. And, I seriously hate the lack of
realism in so much of the stuff on there, especially when contrasted
with stuff that "is" being done with high realism. :p

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get