POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Urbex - wip 12 : Re: Urbex - wip 12 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Urbex - wip 12
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Aug 2014 00:33:19
Message: <53e8478f$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/8/2014 7:10 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> What do you think? This is a jpg copy of the original exr render,
> without post-processing. Somehow, I prefer this although it is a bit too
> dark.
>
> Thomas
Hmm. Haven't commented on this prior, but.. the walls are too
artificial. While its a good look, walls don't peel quite like that,
which I think if the problem. There would be color differences in the
paint itself, lighted in "protected" spots, and discolored in others.
Their might be bleed through of texture from individual panels (if wall
board), or other materials, where the same disruptions that peeled the
paint has warped the underlying material. Also, more protected areas may
be less patchy, due to be less exposed to the conditions that caused the
peel, and others might have much bigger patches missing, due to being
more exposed to the same.

It doesn't "look" uniform, but... its too obviously algorithmic. Too
"cleanly" non-uniformly damaged. If you get what I mean.

Its one of the things that bugs me about this stuff, and why I never
dove that far into it over the years, instead of just once in a while.
POVRay textures are good, when you can't see, in the scale, the
repetitiveness of them, but not so good in scenes like this, but.. on
the other hand, I suck even more at "painting" believable details, using
a static, non-generated texture. lol

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get