POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help with spline & sphere_sweep : Re: Help with spline & sphere_sweep Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:47:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with spline & sphere_sweep
From: Alain
Date: 3 Aug 2014 14:45:49
Message: <53de835d$1@news.povray.org>

> I fixed the problem - my spline was out-of-whack, which is why it wasn't lining
> up with the sphere sweep, and producing all sorts of weird results.
>
> I thought that using triangles would be faster than cylinders - but it's slower?
>
> The other thing that I noticed is that using triangles with a small loop step
> made the SKY render slower.  I'm not sure why that would be.
>
> Anyway, after much plotting and puzzling, and backtracing, I fixed it up and I
> think it looks pretty good.
>
> Shown with the propeller are the coordinates of the spline and the scaled trig
> functions I use to curve around the hub.

Looking at the cylinders fill, you see that the corresponding triangles
are long and narrow. Those are known to be slower. If your triangles
where oriented perpendiculat to the lenght of the blade, they would
render faster, but would make the face of the blade to flat. To
compensate, you'd need to have some other splines running the length of
the blade according to the desired curvature and use smooth triangles.
Have two sets of such splines, one for the front and one for the back of
the propeller so the blades have the desired thickness.

Alain