POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2048 game rendered with POVRay : 2048 game rendered with POVRay Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:00:55 EDT (-0400)
  2048 game rendered with POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 29 Jul 2014 21:06:29
Message: <53d84515@news.povray.org>
This picture is from a 2048 game I wrote in VisualWorks Smalltalk using
POVRay to render the board and all the tiles.  POVRay rendered PNG files
of the board and all tiles from 2 to 8196 which I then imported into the
game as bitmaps.  The game is actually playable and the tiles slide into
position with a small fireworks animation (using a 3D particle system)
when they merge.  The text at the top for the score and messages like
"You Won!" wasn't 3D rendered - it was just drawn as a standard text
object.  The tile shadows are faked.  They are just a black shadow image
rendered slightly below and to the right of a tile before the tile is
drawn on top.  The Autoplay and Restart buttons were rendered directly
onto the board using POVRay beveled text.  The values of the squares on
this particular board were (obviously) manually constructed to show all
tiles.  As you can imagine, it would be notoriously difficult to get
this configuration with a real 2048 game.

The auto-play feature achieves the 2048 tile in about 50% of the games
it plays and occasionally (once or twice every ten runs) achieves 4096.
  I've never seen it get an 8192 tile.

I wrote this game as my entry in the Cincom Smalltalk 2048 contest but I
plan to make a series of videos about how I wrote the game and rendered it.

For those interested in trying the program, you can get it from:

	http://www.simberon.com/downloads/Sim2048.exe

Note, this is a Windows executable file but you have my word that it
doesn't contain any viruses or malware.

If you're interested in looking at the Smalltalk source code, drop me an
e-mail and I can send you a link for it.

Questions and comments welcome
David (K) Buck

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: