POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Perfect Polish : Re: Perfect Polish Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Perfect Polish
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jul 2014 14:32:18
Message: <53cfffb2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.07.2014 14:41, schrieb James Holsenback:
> On 07/23/2014 04:27 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 23.07.2014 09:37, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>>> Better & better!
>>
>> Thanks; I'm quite happy with the last two days' work myself, too.
>>
>> As this wraps up my efforts to improve the realism of the finish
>> properties, Unix jockeys can now get their share of it on
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/master. (Yes, that's right - I
>> consider this essential enough to push it directly into POV-Ray proper.)
>>

> compiled just fine, however noticed a different warning is showing up
> all over the place, here's the last occurrence:
>
> .../source/base/colour.h:117:72: warning: friend declaration
> ‘pov_base::GenericRGBColour<T> pov_base::ToRGBColour(const
> pov_base::GenericColour<T>&)’ declares a non-template function
> [-Wnon-template-friend]
> .../source/base/colour.h:117:72: note: (if this is not what you
> intended, make sure the function template has already been declared and
> add <> after the function name here)
>
> only briefly followed threads you posted working up to this release and
> it looks like it might be related to some of your recent work ... dunno
> if it's worth looking into tho

Those warnings are nothing to worry about; according to my research, the
standard language construct we're using there had a different
(non-standard) meaning in older g++ versions, and the warning is only
there to alert of this potentially breaking change.

I've already prepared a change to configure.ac to set
"-Wno-non-template-friend" when compiling with g++, but it hasn't found
its way into the repo yet.