POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soccer Saturn : Re: Soccer Saturn Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:05:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soccer Saturn
From: Alain
Date: 18 Jul 2014 15:03:53
Message: <53c96f99$1@news.povray.org>

> On 16/07/2014 21:16, Cousin Ricky wrote:

>>> The good thing about being Scottish is that you never have to worry
>>> about
>>> winning these sort of things. :-D
>>
>> Greetings from the United States of America. (Well, technically, from
>> one of her
>> colonies^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hterritories.)
>>
>> The good thing about soccer^H^H^H^H^H^Hfootball is that it keeps us
>> Americans
>> from being even more unbearable than we already are.  (I cringe for my
>> own
>> country every time the winner of one of our intramurals is proclaimed the
>> "world" champion.)
>>

> Don't fret Cuz. It gives the rest of the world some small amusement. ;-)
>
> The thing that you could explain to me is. Why do you call American
> football, football? When the ball can be carried and thrown.

Same thing for the Canadian football where the feild is narower, longer
by 10 yards and you have 3 plays instead of 4 to advance at least 10 yards.

Because the ball is put into play with a kick and there are 2 or 3 other
plays that demand a kick: Placement and conversion kicks and another
one, rarely used, that I don't remember the name. Apart from that, the
term "football" is a gross missnomer.
Maybe, also, because the term "handball" is already used for another
game and they did not want to call it "American rugby" or Canadian rugby"...