POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Gamma issues : Re: Gamma issues Server Time
16 May 2024 00:05:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma issues
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2014 15:00:13
Message: <53c57a3d$1@news.povray.org>

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Fix_old_scenes_to_work_with_the_new_gamma_system

> However, no matter what I try, if I want to reproduce 3.6 colors in 3.7 I *also*
> have to use the gamma_color_adjust macro described on that page. The wording in
> that article makes it seem like switching from color rgb to color srgb should be
> enough. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks.

The article is intended for people wishing to migrate their scenes from
3.6- to 3.7-style gamma handling; in this process, it is virtually
/inevitable/ that you will need to:

"5. Toy around with overall brightness and/or brightness of individual
light sources, until you feel comfortable with the illumination. You may
also want to tweak some of the colours in your scene (both pigment and
light sources)."

If applying the gamma_color_adjust macro to all colours in the scene (in
addition to using the srgb keyword instead of srgb) happens to get you
exactly where you want to go, then that's perfectly ok; other scenes may
need other colour adjustments though.

If all you're after is making a 3.6 scene render the same in 3.7 as it
used to in 3.6, then by all means you should instead try to use
"#version 3.6" and "assumed_gamma 2.2"