POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Format to Convert : Re: Format to Convert Server Time
4 May 2024 22:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Format to Convert
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jul 2014 20:56:02
Message: <53bc9322$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.07.2014 18:04, schrieb bakom:
> There are 21 formats in which I can convert my file. Formats are
> acad, dot, dxf, egg, euclid, euclid2, iges, jack, nff, nmg, obj, off, raw,
> shell-rect, step, stl, tankill, var, voxel, vrml, x3d.
>
> I am using BRL-CAD to make models and store it in .g file. I want to import this
> BRL-CAD model into POV-ray.
> Which formats should I choose from above 21 formats, so that I can first convert
> my BRL-CAD model into that format and then convert it into .pov format to get
> model with proper accuracy and with less damage to my model.

Probably the most widely used path to get 3D data from 3rd party
software into POV-Ray is via the mesh-based .obj format (and the most
widely used tool for that job is probably PoseRay).

However, a quick glance at the Internet suggests that BRL-CAD also uses
other model representations aside from the mesh format, and from the
quality point of view it would be desirable to import those directly
into POV-Ray without converting them to meshes first.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of tools that can convert to POV-Ray
format only support meshes; maybe one of the major reasons for this is
that an almost universally supported, simple file format with easily
accessible documentation - like .obj in the mesh world - doesn't seem to
exist in the CSG world; the most universal formats appear to be iges
(.igs) and step (.stp), but both have a much wider scope than just 3D
geometry, and documentation of the file formats seems hard to come by.

The BRL-CAD documentation mentions the possibility to write your own
exporter, which might be the best choice in this case. After all, the
POV-Ray format is quite easy to generate.