POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Create organic creatures : Re: Create organic creatures Server Time
18 May 2024 03:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Create organic creatures
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Jun 2014 04:22:10
Message: <53afccb2$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-6-2014 17:29, Stephen wrote:
> Sorry LanuHum I did not think that you would take it as an attack on
> you. It was an aside to Thomas a literary one. I do apologise. No
> offence meant.
> I actually heard those words with my own ears. Years ago on an oil rig
> in the Atlantic. The driller said it to the mud engineer when he told
> him some bad news.
>
> Your work is much appreciated.
>
> I take it that you are an "all software should be free" person?
> I lean that way myself but if needs must (no other alternative).
> Anyway the first version of Poser, I say again, Poser, :-P was free and
> my wife bought me a couple of upgrades for birthdays. So please don't
> put me up against the wall. ;-)

I join Stephen in this. However, I do not understand where the problem
lies. In my view, free software has priority but when proprietary
programs do some features better or easier, then, by all means, use them
if possible, and finances allowing of course. That is why in the past I
bought Moray, Silo, and Poser. Moray for its simple and appealing
interface with POV-Ray; Silo for its simple and effective workflow and
elegant way of handling uv mapping; Poser for its versatility and -
above all - its unrivalled way of handling dynamic clothing in a
comprehensive way: within two minutes you are in business. I have not
seen any other program that can do this so easily. Daz claims to do
dynamic clothing too but I have not even be able to make that work nor
to simply import an obj object. I suspect that they use conforming
clothes with some dynamic features added. Where Blender is concerned,
sorry, but I still find the use of Poser much easier for cloth animation
than what I have seen from Blender, but I may be wrong of course.

That said, when this community propose proprietary programs in answer to
questions from members, they are not making any advertisements for them,
they simply speak from their own modelling experience. If I were
advertising I would like to see some cash flow going my way by now :-)

Thomas