POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Separate shadow and object layers : Re: Separate shadow and object layers Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:59:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Separate shadow and object layers
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2014 13:19:17
Message: <53ab0495$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2014 17:17, schrieb posfan12:
> I'm rendering an orthographic scene for a video game. I would like there to be
> separate object and shadow layers. I.e. one image for all the objects in the
> scene, minus shadows, and another image with shadows only. What is the best way
> of going about doing this?

Hmm... I'm thinking that there must be /some/ way to render to an image
with alpha channel and get nearly-opaque shadows being cast on an
otherwise transparent plane.

Let me know if that would help, and I'll come up with some way to do it. (*)

Other than that, as Jerome already mentioned, the "no_shadow" and
"no_image" keywords are probably your big fat friends.

(* Heck, I'm sure it can be done by making smart use of what POV-Ray
already provides, but it seems such a straightforward use case that
POV-Ray should really provide an equally straightforward way of doing it.)