POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : snub cuboctahedra : Re: snub cuboctahedra Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: snub cuboctahedra
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 31 May 2014 07:07:55
Message: <5389b80b$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/30/2014 06:22 PM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> Not posted much for a while, though I've been lurking. Here's a little something
> of interest.
>
> On the left, a snub cuboctahedron skeleton rendered with radiosity and focal
> blur. On the right, a snub cuboctahedron skeleton output as an OpenSCAD script
> using a slightly modified version of the same macro, then rendered with OpenSCAD
> to an STL file, then 3D printed in stainless steel by Shapeways.com. The coin is
> a UK 5p for scale (the model is about 1 inch across).
>
> This started as an experiment to see if I could use POV-Ray to produce printable
> models, but I'm so pleased with it that I'm going to make a whole collection -
> starting with the rest of the Archimedean solids :)
>
> Bill

Neat! I saw recently in the news Shapeways now prints in gold - should
you want to test that option in addition. Perhaps the gold ones could be
gifts to fellow POV-Ray users given you've settled upon stainless steel.

Your post led me to look anew at OpenSCAD. I see they've added a surface
displacement option based upon PNG image files among other things. Got
me wondering if that new feature might not work pretty readily with
Sam's Object-To-Volume conversion technique as a general way to get from
all shapes in POV-Ray to 3d printed things. Suppose it would depend
mostly on how well OpenSCAD's intersection/union to mesh works on the
displaced shapes of the slices. Sam's technique can certainly create the
PNG files for the slices.

Ah, for more free time. If only I had a great many, extra large, gold
printed Archimedean solids on which to retire...

The other Bill P.