POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : parallel planes to make an event horizon : Re: parallel planes to make an event horizon Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: parallel planes to make an event horizon
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 May 2014 03:16:46
Message: <5382ea5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 25-5-2014 18:06, skippy wrote:

> I understand that planes have no thickness and thought the normal orientation
> was important - but wasn't thinking about its effect on texture or media.
> After reading the Doc reference paragraph on planes in regards to
> "inside/outside" and normal direction, I thought the orientation of the planes'
> normals would affect whether the plane was even *visible* (in combination with
> camera and light source - of course).
> However I've read that section multiple times and still don't quite get it.
> Guess I need to take baby steps and hope for enlightenment in the future.

In addition to the use of media, the normals are important when you use
planes in difference or intersection transformations. For instance:

difference {
   box {-1, 1}
   plane {<0, 1, 0>, 0 rotate 45*z}
}

will cut off the lower right-hand part of the box, while

difference {
   box {-1, 1}
   plane {<0, -1, 0>, 0 rotate 45*z}
}

will cut off the upper left-hand part.

To help me visualise a plane's orientation I often consider it as an
infinite box of which for instance only the upper face (normal +y) or
the lower face (normal -y) is visible.

Thomas