POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling on linux : Re: compiling on linux Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:01:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compiling on linux
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Apr 2014 02:16:32
Message: <534788c0@news.povray.org>
Le 10/04/2014 21:37, Rusi a écrit :

> The other thing I would like to ask:
>
> Compiling 200 odd c++ files with -O3 was frying my somewhat old machine.
>
> It was helped and speeded up by removing the -O3 from all the makefiles

If your somewhat old machine has more than one core, using "make -j x"
with x the number of core, might speedup the wall-time of the compile.
the load would be the same, but the difference for the one between the
screen and the chair might be appreciated.

Of course, using more than one core means hotter cpu (but for less
time... all might be a question of balance)

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.