POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : dark appearance of uploaded .png images : Re: dark appearance of uploaded .png images Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:51:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dark appearance of uploaded .png images
From: Alain
Date: 10 Apr 2014 19:10:47
Message: <534724f7$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm beginning to think that there is something wrong with my computer/monitor
> set-up (Windows XP on a CRT monitor): The .png images that various POV-Ray users
> are uploading to the newsgroups look 'dark' on my system, and I have no idea
> what the cause is. (Well, I'm guessing that the images *should* look brighter,
> although I don't know for sure.)
>
> This dark appearance shows up in a range of applications, not just a specific
> one-- the latest Firefox (v28.0); my older Photoshop; and in Windows' Picture
> And Fax Viewer. My own .png images made in POV-Ray look fine on my system, as do
> ..jpegs.
>
> To better show this, I've made .jpeg screenshots of two recent uploaded images,
> by FractRacer and Pekka Aho. They are accurate reproductions of how the .png
> originals appear on my end. Can someone compare my .jpegs to the original
> uploads, to see if they visually match?

I also have a CTR monitor, and those images also look dark on my side.
With CTR monitors, you NEED to set the brightness quite low, often to
the lowest setting, to prevent bluring and bleeding. That's not the case
when using LCD, or plasms, monitors.

"Normal" settings for CRT are usualy contrast at the highest value and
brightness set so that a totaly black display stays /just/ black. With
those settings, the dark images are very dark unless brightned using
post processing.

As for your images, YOU created them much brighter BECAUSE your display
is darker.

Alain