POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Internal Nesting Limit : Re: Internal Nesting Limit Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:47:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internal Nesting Limit
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Apr 2014 05:38:34
Message: <533d2c1a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/04/2014 08:45, Sereib a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I know this issue has frequently been discussed, but I would like to understand
> the reason with the goal, to adjust my scene:
>
> In a scene with many transparent objects with emitting media such as:
>
> sphere{P, r pigment{rgbt 1} hollow no_shadow interior{media{emission rgb 1}}}
>
> rendering stops with the message:
>
> Internal limit exceeded in FixedSimpleVector
> Fatal error in renderer: A POV-Ray internal nesting limit was reached.
> Render failed
>
> if
>
> 1) the number of objects exceeds a certain number

Nope, not directly. But the number of media might.

> 2) the objects come close to each other and overlap

Neither.

> Changing bounding on/off or max_trace_level does not help.
>
> Is there anything I can do?

Without seeing your code, it's difficult to say.

The limit is inherited from old code (that used static C array in
structure). When the conversion was done, I guess the single allocation
aspect was kept for simplicity of handling failure (and speed!)
(allocate the whole array on first element). It has been tagged to be
corrected... later.

Workaround: If you are compiling your own povray, you can raise the
values which sizes the various FixedSimpleVector:
* LIGHTSOURCE_VECTOR_SIZE
* MEDIA_VECTOR_SIZE
* MEDIA_INTERVAL_VECTOR_SIZE
* LIT_INTERVAL_VECTOR_SIZE
* LIGHT_INTERSECTION_VECTOR_SIZE
* RAYINTERIOR_VECTOR_SIZE
* WEIGHTEDTEXTURE_VECTOR_SIZE

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.