POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions : Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:08:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions
From: Alain
Date: 6 Mar 2014 16:25:19
Message: <5318e7bf@news.povray.org>

> I'm laying out a large facility, and trying to view a tiling grid and
> some layout lines.  I've noticed that when I zoom way out, I lose some
> lines, and get tricked into thinking they're not there, which gives the
> floor tiling grid an effect that fooled me into thinking I'd messed up
> the scaling.
> Some of the yellow layout "lines" (and these are HUGE cylinders) also
> inexplicably disappear when I zoom out.  Rotate view y*90, and the other
> lines disappear!
>
> I'm a little lost as to what's going on, why, and how to fix it.

Whenever any object dimention is less than one pixel in some direction,
you risk totaly missing it. For a long cylinder, you may see part if it,
but not some other parts. Antialiasing often don't help here, only
making the visible parts fade in and out of view. Using uberPOV and +am3
can greatly help in this case.

If some object are *VERY* large, they may end up disapearing totaly. It
can appen when the dimention exceed 1e6. For your cylinders, if they are
that long, it's a good idea to split them into a collection of shorter
ones. This may also make the scene render faster as you can get beter
bounding.

A possible solution is to change the radius of your cylinder according
to the distance/zoom. It may even be advisable to use cones instead of
cylinders.

Alain