POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Zippo logo : Re: Zippo logo Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Zippo logo
From: James Holsenback
Date: 5 Mar 2014 18:18:59
Message: <5317b0e3@news.povray.org>
On 03/05/2014 05:40 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 05/03/2014 3:30 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
>
>> well funny you should say that ... after i posted paused for a cig break
>> and my own zippo (older than my son btw) is brass with silver/blue
>> squadron logo. it's been sent back to zippo 3 times in over thirty years
>> for /free/ repair. i will be buried with it in my watch pocket. during
>> times i did not smoke it served as a good luck charm
>
> Mine is about 30 years old. I bought it when single action lighters were
> banned on oil rigs. As I was walking away with my shiny chromed
> Precious. The said Tool Pusher told me how a Zippo and a Bible saved his
> brother's life in 'Nam. I was impressed :-)
> I later engraved my initial on it and the brass shone through. I don't
> use it now as the striking wheel has worn a grove in my thumb. (Damn!
> having to cook 13*.) ;-)
>

> *
> Ref: Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren.

well i don't have a life threatening story that goes with mine, but it
has come back to me from being lost twice! once in the military ... made
it back to my squadron from a /great/ distance, and once when i was
living up in canada ... pissed off at something and fired it into a snow
bank. searched for days and was sick about it! found it during spring
thaw. i'd say it's earned it's stripes as a good luck charm ;-)