POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions : Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings andorientaio= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings andorientaio=
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 Mar 2014 11:17:01
Message: <53174dfd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 05/03/2014 02:33, Bald Eagle nous fit lire :
>> ... it appears
>> that when you zoom out, the grid lines and the yellow cylinders become
>> less than
>> one pixel wide.  When this happens, the rays traced can easily miss
>> the object.
>
> OK,  I'm following your reasoning here, but I'm seriously doubting
> that's _really_ the case since the vertical cylinders show up, and the
> horizontal one is GONE. The bloody thing's a foot in diameter!
> And why would SOME grid lines show up (shouldn't they all be the same
> pixel width?) and others not?  It's just ... odd.
>
> I'll see if I can calculate the expected pixel width and try to see
> what's what.  Good thing there's coffee left.  :)
>
>> An alternative is to scale the width of the grid lines in proportion
>> to the
>> distance of the camera from the facility.
>
> That's a _good_ idea, I'll try that.

try one thing (for the experiment): replace the horizontal cylinder with
4 or more cylinders of same radius, but reduced length. (each ends of
the new cylinders touching or inside another cylinder; if using
transparent texturing and/or interior, put them in a merge{} )

There might be something about the relative dimension of the cylinder,
as the povray never looks at your L x R cylinder, but use a
transformation to a unit cylinder... it might be yet another strike of
Epsilon filter or something similar.