POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions : Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaio= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:57:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaio=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Mar 2014 20:33:25
Message: <53167ee5$1@news.povray.org>
> ... it appears
> that when you zoom out, the grid lines and the yellow cylinders become less than
> one pixel wide.  When this happens, the rays traced can easily miss the object.

OK,  I'm following your reasoning here, but I'm seriously doubting
that's _really_ the case since the vertical cylinders show up, and the
horizontal one is GONE. The bloody thing's a foot in diameter!
And why would SOME grid lines show up (shouldn't they all be the same
pixel width?) and others not?  It's just ... odd.

I'll see if I can calculate the expected pixel width and try to see
what's what.  Good thing there's coffee left.  :)

> An alternative is to scale the width of the grid lines in proportion to the
> distance of the camera from the facility.

That's a _good_ idea, I'll try that.