POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux... : Re: And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And once again: compiling and installing 3.7 under Debian Linux...
From: James Holsenback
Date: 9 Feb 2014 09:51:22
Message: <52f795ea$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 09.02.2014 02:34, James Holsenback wrote:
>
>> did you use sudo on apt-get commands?
>
> Not sudo, but generally as su!
>
>> what does you configure command looks like ... did you add appropriate
>> options?
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/vault/Compilation
>

> checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... no
> configure: error: cannot find a suitable boost thread library
>
> - same as before.
>
> The version for Ubuntu 13.10, g++ version 4.8.1:
>
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/home/yadgar/povray-3.7-stable':
> See `config.log' for more details

well geee whizzzz the above tells me you don't even have the correct
build environment yet ... you need to get the compiler working first.

apt-cache search build-essential

also of interest (povray basic requirements):
apt-get install zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff5-dev

optional:

apt-get install libopenexr-dev
apt-get build-dep libsdl1.2-dev
apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

> Why is this all so [beeeeep!] complicated?!? I'm about to contemplate
> whether I should change to a 64-bit Windows XP system rather than
> Linux... but I do not want to be online under Windows!!! And my wohnklo
> (German colloquial for "tiny little apartment") is too small for two big
> desktops!

No it's not really complicated ... just new to you. If you're not
willing to dig in and learn it, maybe switching is the right answer, but
hey IMHO building binaries on windows machines is WAY more involved.