POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Resuming option not working in v3.7? : Re: Resuming option not working in v3.7? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:51:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming option not working in v3.7?
From: Alain
Date: 27 Jan 2014 23:58:58
Message: <52e73912$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I hope someone is able to help me.
>
> I am quite new to POV-Ray, although I have known about it for 15-20 years.
>
> When I'm trying to render a scene which takes more than a day to render, I use
> the resuming option. I have read the documentation numerous of times, but I
> can't really get it to work. In the QUICKRES.INI file (I have also tried the
> command line options), I have added the following two lines:
>
> Continue_Trace=on
> Create_Ini=rerun.ini
>
> When I start rendering, POV-Ray is creating the rerun.ini file as well as the
> ..pov-state file. The Messages tab also claims "Continued trace......On".
>
> However, if I have stopped the rendering using the Stop button, and later
> (doesn't matter if I have or have not closed POV-Ray) decide to continue, it
> doesn't matter what I do. I can't resume from where I left off.
>
> I have tried both command line, like the documentation suggests:
>
> pvengine64.exe RERUN +C
> (Also tried with rerun.ini instead of RERUN)
>
> I have tried opening the .pov file in POV-Ray and pushing Run, as well as
> opening the created rerun.ini file pushing Run.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Why doesn't POV-Ray continuing rendering my
> scene from where it stopped earlier?
>
> Regards,
>
> Lennie

Apparently, you are using the Windows version.

Don't use +c when first starting the render, only on an interupted render.

Put +c in the command line box, then click the Run button.. It's the
only thing you need to do.

Make sure that you resume using the SAME resolution that you used initialy.

If your scene use radiosity, the radiosity pretrace will be performed
again, but only for the un-rendered part of your image.

If using photons AND you did NOT save the photons to a file anr reload
that file, the photons shooting phase will need to be done again in it's
totality.

You don't need to use any rerun.ini file.

I highly recomment that you remove
Continue_Trace=on
Create_Ini=rerun.ini
from your quickres.ini file. That file is to be used EXCLUSIVELY to
store predefined image dimentions/resolution. Nothing else.

If you start from the console using pvengine64.exe RERUN, i don't think
that you need the +c. In fact, it may be the cause of your problems...

So, just une +c in the command line box.

Alain