POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : V 3.7 Timeout problem : Re: V 3.7 Timeout problem Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:04:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: V 3.7 Timeout problem
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jan 2014 22:31:11
Message: <52e1de7f@news.povray.org>
Am 23.01.2014 22:47, schrieb Ger:
> Ger wrote:
>
>> I had a render running that's pretty big (20GB mem use)
>> and it fails with a "Operation timed out" problem.
>>
> I have cut the render back to where it's just touching swap for about 100-200MB
>
> This is what I get now

> Parser Time
>    Parse Time:       0 hours  4 minutes 51 seconds (291.274 seconds)
>                using 1 thread(s) with 178.430 CPU-seconds total
>    Bounding Time:    0 hours  5 minutes  0 seconds (300.321 seconds)
>                using 1 thread(s) with 143.572 CPU-seconds total

> Parser Time
>    Parse Time:       0 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds (739.418 seconds)
>                using 1 thread(s) with 290.039 CPU-seconds total
>    Bounding Time:    0 hours  6 minutes 45 seconds (405.536 seconds)
>                using 1 thread(s) with 161.738 CPU-seconds total

> Only change between frames is the camera position

Note how the scene already takes significantly longer to parse, which
should normally not happen if all that's changed is the camera position;
this shows how I/O performance is already degrading.

Which reminds me that there still /is/ something worth trying: One thing
that competes with swapping for I/O bandwidth is the writing of the pov
state file, which is essentially a log of rendering progress that would
be used if you abort a render and continue it later using the +C option.
The newest development version of POV-Ray 3.7 has an option to disable
creation of that file ("-CC"), which would leave more I/O bandwidth for
swapping.

Currently there is no Windows build of that version, but the newest
UberPOV beta (1.37.0.0-beta.4) also has it.