POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Suspicious behavior? : Re: Suspicious behavior? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 04:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suspicious behavior?
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2014 13:03:12
Message: <52d42a60@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2014 04:29, schrieb posfan12:
> I tried rendering the scene again last night this time with two 40GB
> swap files on different partitions (I am running out of storage space).
> It got to 30001 tokens before I went to bed. 14 hours later when I
> checked to see the render progress it was... still at 30001 tokens.
>
> It basically did absolutely nothing overnight. No errors or messages
> either.
>
>  >:(

Did we already mention that running POV-Ray with /any/ kind of swap file
usage is /strongly/ discouraged?

Consider yourself lucky that you don't even get as far as rendering:
Your Windows system /will/ become fatally unresponsive.

I repeat: Running POV-Ray with less physical memory than needed to
render a scene /will/ /inevitably/ cause your /whole/ Windows system to
come to a grinding halt during rendering.

Just to make sure you're understanding the full extent of what I am
saying: Once it happens. You /will/ wait a minute just for the bloody
mouse cursor to follow your mouse movement (if you're lucky). When you
press Ctrl-Alt-Del, you /will/ wait maybe 15 minutes for the task
manager to pop up (if you're patient). You will /not/ get any fedback on
your keystrokes anyomre. You will /not/ be able to shut down your
computer properly anymore unless you spend a guesstimated hour to
systematically complete that procedure with painstaking precision and
patience. You /will/ know why I call this "swap hell".

I am /not/ kidding, and I am /not/ exaggerating. Having been there and
done that a couple of times during test runs, I am dead serious.

I cannot repeat it too often: /Never/ run POV-Ray for Windows with
insufficient /physical/ memory for a scene - you /will/ regret it.

And just in case I haven't made myself clear enough:

Stop toying around with your swap file limits in hopes to get your scene
to work. Abso-bloody-lutely /do/ find a way to reduce the memory
requirements of your scene to fit inside your /physical/ memory.

I suspect that the LGEO geometry is CSG; note that each instance of any
CSG object requires a full copy in memory. You could cut down
significantly on that memory by using #declare'd meshes instead, as
multiple instances of any such mesh share the actual mesh data.