POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Changing POV #version mid-scene? : Re: Changing POV #version mid-scene? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:08:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Changing POV #version mid-scene?
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jan 2014 19:05:20
Message: <52d1dc40$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.01.2014 22:12, schrieb posfan12:
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> Tell Michael to look in the 3.7 include directory.  Only one of the official
>> include files sets #version 3.7;.
>>
>> Setting the #version in the include file insures that POV-Ray will know which
>> version the file was intended for.  For example, an include file written for 3.6
>> might use ambient to make an object glow.  This does not work in 3.7 when
>> radiosity is used, but with a #version 3.6; POV-Ray 3.7 will know that it should
>> revert to earlier behavior just for this file.  Thus, an include file written
>> for 3.6 will behave predictably in a scene written for 3.7.  (This is one answer
>> to Doctor John's question.)
>>
>> Of course, it is common courtesy for the include file to restore the previous
>> version so there are no baffling surprises for the user.
>
> For some reason I thought I read that POV-Ray reverts to 3.62 behavior if at any
> point it encounters something other than #version 3.7 (and remains this way from
> that point on).

No, you can use "#version 3.7" to switch back.

Note however that some features' behaviour can only be affected
"globally" by the #version statement. The "ambient" feature falls into
this category: Whether it works when radiosity is active depends
entirely on the last #version statement encountered in your scene.