POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Suspicious behavior? : Re: Suspicious behavior? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:51:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suspicious behavior?
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jan 2014 18:38:50
Message: <52cc900a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.01.2014 00:26, schrieb posfan12:
> POVray experienced a 'bad allocation' error. Is it supposed to stop
> parsing/rendering when this happens? It didn't. I had to stop the render
> manually.

It might have been busy de-allocating stuff; it can take quite a while
if a lot of memory had been allocated (and I presume that this was the
case, as "bad allocation" sounds like an out-of-memory situation to me).

> After I stopped POVray manually, the offending line 624690 was
> highlighted in yellow as it is supposed to AFAIK.
>
> Also after stopping POVray, the program wouldn't surrender the allocated
> RAM. I had to manually kill the POVray process in order to get the RAM
> back.

It might either be that manual stopping of the render canceled some
cleanup (which shouldn't be the case), or - again - POV-Ray might have
been busy releasing the RAM but it took longer than you were willing to
wait.

> Have I encountered a bug or is this normal behavior?

Well "normal behavior" it certainly isn't, but it's difficult to tell
whether that's due to a pathologic use case or a bug.