POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Understanding isosurface, difference between negative and positive : Re: Understanding isosurface, difference between negative and positive Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Understanding isosurface, difference between negative and positive
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Dec 2013 09:20:20
Message: <52bede24@news.povray.org>
Le 28/12/2013 14:41, Louis nous fit lire :
> After reading some tutorials and viewing examples I thought I understood
> isosurfaces, however when trying to create them myself, I run into problems.
>
> I understand that function {(x*x + y*y + z*z - 1)} would create a sphere, but
> why doesn't function {(x*x + y*y + z*z + 1)} (plus instead of minus)?
>
> According to my reasoning it should generate exactly the same sphere, using plus
> or minus should not make any difference in this formula, it only mirrors the
> coordinates which results in the same sphere right?
>
> What am I missing?

The fact that the whole formula is evaluated to find the frontier of the
shape at the value of threshold (default to 0.0).

So, x*x + y*y + z*z - 1 threshold 0 is identical to x*x + y*y + z*z + 1
threshold 2.

Indeed, the simplest sphere is x*x + y*y + z*z, threshold r*r.
(r being the radius of the sphere).